The Ashes that Made Trees Bloom Class 7 Extra Questions and Answers
The Ashes that Made Trees Bloom Class 7 Extra Questions & Answers are available here. Class 7 English The Ashes that Made Trees Bloom extra questions and answers are prepared by our expert teachers. All these questions are divided into two or three sections. They are short type questions answers, long type question answers and extract based questions. Learning these questions will help you to score excellent marks in the exams.
The Ashes that Made Trees Bloom Extra Questions and Answers
Very Short Answer Type Question
1. Who lived in an old days of the daimios?
Answer: An old man and his wife lived in an old days of the daimios.
2. Who was their only pet?
Answer: The pet was a little dog.
3. What was the little dog named?
Answer: The dog was named as Muko.
4. Who named the dog as Muko?
Answer: The owner of the dog named him Muko.
5. How did an old couple traded their dog?
Answer: They loved him as their own baby.
6. What was given as the meal to their pet?
Answer: They fed their pet with tidbits of fish from their own chopsticks, and also boiled rice.
7. What did the old farmer made for his dog?
Answer: He made a cushion of crape for his dog.
8. Who was the old man?
Answer: The old man was a farmer.
9. Who follow the old man to his work everyday?
Answer: His pet dog.
10. What did the white heron do?
Answer: The white heron followed the footsteps of the old man to pick up the works.
11. Did the dog harm the white heron?
Answer: No, he did not harmed the white heron.
12. What type of person the old was towards birds and animals?
Answer: The old man was very kind and patent towards all birds and animals.
13. Why did the dog come running to his owner?
Answer: To show him some spot behind.
14. What did he find after digging the earth?
Answer: He found a pile of gold glittered before him.
15. What did he use to dig the earth?
Answer: He used his hoe to dig the earth.
16. What type of couple were the wicked old man and his wife?
Answer: The were not kind and cruel type of couple.
17. How did they behave with the dogs?
Answer: They always kicked and scolded the dogs.
18. Did the dog eat food given by the wicked couple?
Answer: No, the dog did not eat and not even move.
19. Why did the carvel couple behave politely towards the dog?
Answer: They behaved politely towards the dog hoping that he would find treasure for them.
20. Did the dog really find treasure for the cruel pair?
21. Where did the dog take the cruel couple to?
Answer: He took near a pine tree growing in the garden.
22. “Quick, wife, hand me the spade and hoe!” who said this and to whom?
Answer: The greedy old man said this to his wife.
23. What did the carvel couple find after digging the earth?
Answer: They found a dead kitten after digging the earth.
24. After finding a dead kitten, what did the greedy couple do?
Answer: They kicked the dog and beat him to his death.
25. What happened to the dogs owner after learning his death?
Answer: He mourned for him as if he had been his own child.
26. To whom did the spirit of the dog appear?
Answer: To his master (Old Farmer).
27. What appeared to the old man that night?
Answer: The spirit of the dog appeared to him that night.
28. What did the old man after cutting down the pine tree?
Answer: He made a hammer of wood for pounding rice.
29. During New Year, what he wish to make?
Answer: He wished to make some rice pastry.
30. What happened while they were baking rice pastry?
Answer: While they were backing they saw suddenly the whole mass turned into gold coins.
31. Who peeped in at the window of the old man?
Answer: Their greedy neighbour
32. What did the greedy couple notice?
Answer: They noticed that the bean sauce were changing into gold coins.
33. What happened to the old couple after receiving gold coins?
Answer: They become rich again.
34. What did the wicked neighbour borrow from the old couple?
Answer: They borrowed the mortar and the magic mill.
35.) What happened when the greedy couple began to pound and grind?
Answer: The pastry and sauce turned into a foul mass of worms.
36. After pastry and sauce turned into worms, what did the couple do?
Answer: They chopped the mill into pieces and used it as firewood.
37. “Take the ashes of the mill, sprinkle them on the withered trees, and they will bloom again”- who said this and to whom?
Answer: The spirit of the dog said this to this master in the dream.
38. Where did the good old man sprinkle a pinch of ashes?
Answer: He sprinkled a pinch of ashes on the cherry tree.
39. What did the old man sprinkle on the cherry tree?
Answer: The old man sprinkled a pinch of ashes of the mill on the cherry tree.
40. What happened after sprinkle a pinch of ashes on the trees?
Answer: The trees sprouted blossoms after spreading a pinch on the trees.
41. How did the greedy couple react after the blooming of the trees?
Answer: They gathered the remaining ashes of the mill and kept to make the withered trees blossom.
42. Who was to pass along road near the village?
Answer: The wealthy landowner, i.e., daimio was to pass along the road near the village.
43. What was the old man doing as the procession approached them?
Answer: The old man was spreading a pinch of ashes over the withered trees.
44. What did the tall man ask the people to do?
Answer: The tall man asked the people to get down on their knees.
45. Why were the people asked to get down on their knees?
Answer: Because it was the custom to get down on their knees when their lord passed by.
46. Whom did the leader of the van catch sight of?
Answer: The leader of the van caught the sight of the old man up in the tree.
47. Why did the daimio order to stop the train?
Answer: Because he was delighted to see the wonder of the trees blooming.
48. What did the landlord offer the old man?
Answer: He offered silk robes, sponge cake, fans, etc.
49. Whom did the daimio invite to his castle?
Answer: The old man.
50. What happened when the greedy man threw ashes over the landlord.
Answer: When he threw handful of ashes over him, the wind below the dust in the nose and eyes of the landward.
51. What happened the greedy man at the end of the story?
Answer: He had died in the mud.
52. Name the narrator of the story “The Ashes that made Trees Bloom”
Answer: William Elliot Griffis.
Short Answer Type Questions
1. How did the old couple treat their dog?
Answer: The old couple treated the dog as their own child. The old farmer had created a cushion made of blue crepe for the dog. During the meals they used to feed the dog plenty of rice and tidbits of fish from their own chopstick.
2. Did the farmer forget his virtues after becoming rich?
Answer: No, he didn’t. The kind farmer bought a piece of land hosted a feast for his friends and helped his poor neighbours when he became rich.
3. Describe the change, the cherry tree, underwent after the kind old man poured a pinch of ash over it.
Answer: It was winter season and the cherry tree in the old couple’s garden didn’t have leaves. The old man sprinkled a pinch of the ashes and blossoms sprouted out of it. Pink flowers came on it and their fragrance filled the air.
4. How did the farmer please the daimios?
Answer: The daimio was pleased by seeing the magic of the withered cherry tree bursting into blossom.
5. Why did the leader ignored the kind old man sitting on the cherry tree?
Answer: The leader of the van allowed the old man to remain seated at the cherry tree considering him to be very old.
6. What preparations did the kind old couple make for the New Year?
Answer: For the New Year the old couple planned to make rice pastries and bean sauce.
7. Why daimios did punish the wicked couple?
Answer: The wicked farmer was killed brutally by the daimios men and was thus punished for his greed.
10. Why did the neighbours kill the dog?
Answer: The neighbours killed the dog in anger. They have expected the dog to help them get a treasure, but the dog had rather taken them to a foul smelling dead kitten.
11. How did the old couple treat their pet?
Answer: The old couple love their dog as it were their own baby. The old man made a cushion of blue crape for the dog. They were kind towards all the living creature.
12. What meal was given to the dog?
Answer: The old couple fed their dog with titbits of fish from their own chopsticks, and also boiled rice to eat.
13. Did the old man work very hard? If yes why?
Answer: Being a farmer, he worked very hard and went to the fields with hoe or spade and work from morning until evening.
14. What type of dog Muko was?
Answer: Muko loved his owners and was loyal to them. He followed his master to his work everyday to the field without harming the white heron that walked in the footsteps of the old man to pick up the worms.
15. What did the old couple do as they were rich?
Answer: The old couple bought a piece of land. Arranged a feast for their friends and their poor neighbours. They were also kind to their pet no doubt rich or not.
16. Why did the wicked couple coaxed the dog and where?
Answer: As they heard their neighbours good luck, the wicked couple coaxed the dog to their garden and offered him fish and other dainties, hoping for he would also find treasure for them.
17. What happened when the dog took the greedy couple near the pine tree?
Answer: As the dog took near the pine tree growing in their garden, they began to paw and scratch the ground with spade and hoe to find the treasure beneath ground.
18. Who killed the dog and why?
Answer: The dog was killed by the greedy couple. The reason was that they did not get any treasure on the ground found by the dog. But a dead kitten. This made the couple furious at the dog and beat him to death.
19. What did the spirit of the dog say to his master in his dream?
Answer: The spirit of the dog appeared to his master and said to cut down the pine tree over his grave and make a mother for rice pastry and a mill for bean sauce.
20. What did the greedy couple do with the mortar and mill?
Answer: The couple began to pound and grind with the mortar and the mill. Later the pastry and source turned in a mass of worms. Therefore, they angrily chopped the mill into pieces of wood.
21. What was the advices given by the spirit of the dog to his owner in his dream again?
Answer: The spirit of the dog said him to take the ashes of the mill and spread it on the withered trees. They would bloom again.
22. Why was the landowner delighted?
Answer: The landowner was delighted and surprised to see the wonder of blooming trees by the old man. He called the old man and gifted silk robes, sponge cake and fans, etc.
23. Why was the wicked man killed by the daimio?
Answer: The man climbed the withered tree and threw handful of ashes over the daimio. Rather the dust below into the nose and eyes of the daimio thus, the result took him to death.
24. What happened when the old couple began to make rice pastry?
Answer: During the New year, the old man wished to bake rice pastry. As he lifted his hammer to pound the mass onto dough, the whole mass took the hand mill and filled it with beans to make bean source, instead of that the gold coins were dropping from the mill like a rain.
Long Answer Type Questions
1. The unconditional love of old couple made them rich. Elucidate.
Answer: The old couple was issueless so when they found a little dog, they look after as if it were their child. Once he was taken to a heap with buried gold by digging. Later during the New Year feast, they were made rich. Further the king showered him with gifts. Thus, if we spread selfless love to the animals, they too reciprocate with their bountiful love. So, without having selfish interests one should unconditionally love the animals. The one who has selfish interest, would remain empty handed.
2. How does the story underscores values such as honesty, compassion, diligence with a hint of magical realism?
Answer: The love of the dog for old couple was obvious as they look after it with affection. The story is different as magic of his appearance in dreams and of changing food into gold. These elements create interest of the reader. Moreover, the love, kindness and compassionate behaviour made the couple rich. However, they did not leave their virtues; they were appreciated by the king also. On the contrast, the cruel and wicked couple were punished for their misdeeds.
3. The old farmer is a kind person. What evidence of his kindness do you find in the first two paragraphs.
Answer: The old farmer is a kind person. He loved his dog as if it was his own baby. He fed it with fish with his v- own chopsticks and all the boiled rice it wanted. He was patient and kind to everything that had life and often dug up a sod on purpose to give food to the birds.
4. What did the dog do to lead the farmer to the hidden gold?
Answer: The dog came running to the farmer and kept on whining and ruining to and for till the farmer followed him. The dog began a lively scratching. Thinking it was possibly a buried bone or fish, the farmer struck his hoe in the earth and found the hidden gold.
5. (i) How did the spirit of the dog help the farmer first?
(ii) How did it help him next?
Answer: (i) The spirit of the dog came in the farmer’s dream and first asked him to chop the pine tree and make mortar and hand-mill out of it. With the mortar and mill it gave the farmer heaps of gold.
(ii) The dog’s spirit again came in the farmer’s dream for the second time and told the farmer to collect ‘the ash of the mortar and the mill and sprinkle it on the withered trees and they will blossom’. The farmer did this in front of the daimio and was awarded with lavish gifts.
6. Why did the daimio reward the farmer but punish his neighbour for the same act?
Answer: The daimio rewarded the farmer for making an old withered cherry tree blossom once again. Like the farmer his greedy neighbour also sprinkled ashes over a withered cherry tree. However, the result this time was different. The tree did not blossom, while the wind blew the dust into the noses and eyes of the daimio and his wife. This was the reason why the greedy neighbour was punished.
7. How did the dog repay to the love of his masters?
Answer: The dog was treated like a family member by the old couple. The dog made his masters rich by giving them gold coins. His masters became prosperous with it and bought a piece of land.
He then asked them to collect the ashes which had the power to sprout blossoms of a withered tree. The magic was seen by the daimio who had rewarded the old couple.
8. The wicked farmer wanted to be rich like his neighbour. What happened every time when he tried to do so?
Answer: First time when the neighbour tried to be rich, all he got was a foul smelling dead kitten. In their second. attempt, the old couple got heap of worms from the dough of rice pastry and bean sauce. In the third attempt, the old man failed to create magic with the ashes. He spoiled daimio’s procession and was killed by his men as punishment.
9. Explain how the dog was killed.
Answer: The greedy couple who was hoping the dog to find them a treasure, coaxed him into their garden and set fish and other dainties before him. But the dog did not had a bit of it. They dragged him outside and the dog took near the pine tree growing in the garden. The greedy couple began to dig the pit with a spade, but the result was a dead kitten. This made lost temper and beat the dog furiously to death.
10. What were the customs during the days of daimios?
Answer: During the days of daimios, people would shut their windows when their landowner passed by people were not allowed to look down on the landlords. All the people of the village would kneel down upon their hands and knees until the procession passed by as the train drew near, the tall man asked everyone to kneel down on their knees and would remain prostrate.