Bepin Choudhury’s Lapse of Memory Extra Questions and Answers Class 8 English Honeydew
The Tsunami Extra questions and Answers PDF help the students in preparing for their examination in an orderly manner. Class 8 English Honeydew Chapter 4 extra questions includes short and long questions which are essential for school exams. Practicing class 8 extra questions help the students to understand the entire chapter for the preparation of class tests and terminal exams.
Extra Questions for Class 8 English Chapter 4 Bepin Choudhury’s Lapse of Memory
Short Answer Type Questions
1. Why did Bepin Choudhury drop at Kalicharan’s in new market?
Answer: On every Monday, Bepin Choudhury dropped at Kalicharan’s new market to buy books. Crime stories, ghost stories and thriller stories he had to buy at least 5 at a time to last him through the week.
2. Why did Bepin like to read books?
Answer: Bepin Chaudhury was fond of reading books. He lived alone and did not mix up with others neither did he like to waste his time in idle chats.
3. Who was observing Bepin Choudhary at bodk shop?
Answer: The man was Parimal Ghose, who met Bepin in 1958 in Ranchi. He used to meet Bepin whole week to arrange car to take him to the Hudroo Falls.
4. What happened with Bepin Choudhary at Ranchi? How did Mr. Parimal help him?
Answer: Bepin Choudhary had a fall in Hudroo and cut his right knee. Then Parimal brought iodine to him. He also fixed up car for him to go to Netarhat, the next day.
5. According to man, where was Bepin Choudhary in ’58?
Answer: According to man, Bepin Babu was in his bungalow in Ranchi. But according to Bepin, he spent a puja in ’58 with a friend in Kanpur.
6. How did you know that the man knew Bepin Chaudhary?
Answer: We got to know that the man knew him because he gave a brief description about Bepin that is: He always carries books with him. He had no children and his wife passed away 10 years ago. He didn’t like hotel food and so he had his meal cooked by Bawarchi.
7. Who was Paresh Chandra? And what he suggested for Bepin?
Answer: Paresh Chandra was a young physician with a pair of bright eyes and a sharp nose. He suggested Bepin to go to Ranchi once again that can make him to remind the entire trip. Dr. Chandra also doesn’t know much about this kind of disease but he gave suggestion and some tranquilliser and a nerve tonic to make him sleep well.
8. Why did Bepin Babu said that there is no hope for him?
Answer: Bepin Babu said that there is no hope for him because when he reached to Ranchi he did not have memory of his trip. He went to Hudroo Falls also but found nothing, and now he thought that he would lose everything; his will to work, his confidence, his ability etc.
9. Who sent the letter to Bepin and what was written there?
Answer: The letter was sent by Chunnilal. He wrote that he had no money, his resources were limited. What he had was imagination, which he had used to write a novel and it would be published soon.
10. At last what did Bepin said to Dr. Chandra?
Answer: Bepin said that “I’m fine. It all came back as soon as I got off the train at Ranchi”, and he called him because he had pain in his hip because he fell in Ranchi and a painkiller could work on it.
11. What happened at Kalicharan’s shop?
Answer: Bepin Babu used to buy books every Monday. One day, he observed that someone was looking at him keenly. He introduced himself as Parimal Ghose.
12. What did the man say about himself?
Answer: The man was surprised and said that they met every day for a whole week. He also arranged a car for him to take him to the Hudroo Falls in Ranchi in the year 1958.
13. How did Bepin get a cut on his right knee?
Answer: Bepin Choudhary could not recollect about the reason of the scar. He was told by Parimal Ghose that he had a fall in Hudroo and cut his right knee. He bought him iodine.
14. What arrangements were made during his stay in Ranchi?
Answer: Parimal informed Bepin that he stayed in a bungalow as he didn’t like hotel food and preferred to have his meals cooked by ‘bawarchi’.
15. What details of the family were known to Parimal and how?
Answer: Parimal told him that he spoke about his family. He had no children and his wife died about ten years ago. His younger brother had died insane. He said that he had revealed all the details by himself. Yet Bepin didn’t believe him.
16. Do you think that Parimal successfully convinced Bepin about his visit to Ranchi?
Answer: Bepin was sure that he never visited Ranchi. Although Parimal gave him evidence and references. Bepin left him in utter disbelief.
17. Why do you think was ‘Bepin Babu’s head reeled’?
Answer: Bepin Babu was sure that he never visited Ranchi. But the intruder narrated incidents’with so much of conviction that Bepin Babu started doubting himself. He tried to find the reason of his forgetfulness.
18. Who was Haridas? Where did he go?
Answer: Haridas was a friend of Bepin who stayed in Kanpur. Bepin visited him in October 1958 during puja. When Bepin was in a conflict with Parimal, he wanted to write to him. Then he realized that Haridas had left with his wife for Japan.
19. What was Bepin ‘sleuthing’ about?
Answer: Bepin Babu called up Dinesh Mukerji to enquire about his visit to Ranchi. As Parimal Ghose mentioned him name when he was narrating incidents about Ranchi.
20. Why was ‘his head in a swirl’?
Answer: Bepin was in dilemma because Parimal concocted a fake story about Bepin’s visit to Ranchi. He was at one of the important position in his office. He was doing his job perfectly. So he felt why such an important trip was slipped off his mind. ‘Is he getting insane’ he started losing faith over himself.
21. Who was Chunni? What kind of relationship do they share?
Answer: Chunni Lai had been at school with Bepin Babu. He was not well off so he often visited him to get help in finding work. But Bepin Babu disliked him.
22. Why did the man stare at Bepin Babu in disbelief?
Answer: The man stared at Bepin Babu in disbelief because Bepin Babu did not recognise him even though he was sure that he knew him and had met him in Ranchi.
23. Where did Bepin Babu say he went in October’ 58?
Answer: Bepin Babu said that in October 58 he was in Kanpur.
24. Mention any three (or more) things that Parimal Ghose knew about Bepin Babu.
Answer: Bepin Babu’s intimate secrets were known to Parimal Ghose:
- He knew Bepin Babu had no children.
- He had lost his wife 1 year ago.
- His brother was died insane.
25. How did he try to decide who was right in his memory or Parimal Ghose?
Answer: Bepin Babu tried to check the people who were supposed to have a link with the Ranchi trip. He asked Dinesh Mukherjee about the trips. Dinesh Mukherjee increased his duality as he made a positive statement for Ranchi trip.
26. Why did Bepin Babu hesitate to visit Mr. Mukerji? Why did he finally decide to phone him?
Answer: Bepin Babu hesitated to visit Mr. Mukerji thinking that it would be ridiculous if he had really visited Ranchi. Mukerji would think Bepin Babu had gone mad. Hence, Bepin Babu finally decided to phone him.
27. What did Mr. Mukerji say? Did it comfort Bepin Babu, or add to his worries?
Answer: Mr. Mukerji confirmed that Bepin Babu had been to Ranchi in October 58. This further made him uncomfortable. Bepin Babu became so worried that he even lost his appetite.
28. Who was Chunilal? What did he want from Bepin Babu?
Answer: Chunilal was an old schoolmate of Bepin Babu. He had been having a rough time lately and had been – coming to see Bepin Babu for a job.
29. Why was Dr. Chanda puzzled? What was unusual about Bepin Babu’s loss of memory?
Answer: Paresh Chanda was a young physician. He had never dealt a case of memory loss. So he was puzzled. He gave a suggestioh to Bepin Babu to visit Ranchi again.
30. Had Bepin Babu reallyTost his memory and forgotten all about a trip to Ranchi?
Answer: No, Bepin Babu had not really lost his memory. In fact, he had never been to Ranchi. It was all a plan made by Chunilal to teach him a lesson.
31. Why did Bepin Babu change his mind about meeting Chunilal? What was the result of this meeting?
Answer: Bepin Babu changed his mind about meeting Chunilal because he thought that it might be possible that the latter remember something about the Ranchi trip. When Chunilal confirmed that Bepin Babu had been to Ranchi Bepin Babu decided to see a specialist doctor.
32. Bepin Babu lost consciousness at Hudroo falls. What do you think was the reason for this?
Answer: Bepin Babu might have slipped near Hudroo falls that made him unconscious.
33: How do you think Bepin Babu reacted when he found out that Chunilal had tricked him?
Answer: Bepin Babu must be regretting when he found the truth about Chunilal. He must be upset for not helping his old friend who was in such a bad condition. Bepin Babu would be also angry on Chunilal for creating so much of chaos in his peaceful life.
Long Answer Type Questions
1. Bepin Chaudhary was losing confidence because of the force created around. What would you do to restore faith and confidence?
Answer: Chunni Lai manipulated everything. He sent a man who concocted story with conviction. At first, he was unmoved, but later started interrogating himself. He tried to relive the places then only he realized the truth. If were at his place, I would have snapped the intruder and won’t let him disturb my inner peace.
2. Chunni Lai was talented yet ‘kept turning up like a bad penny’. What do you get about the character of Chunni Lai?
Answer: Chunni Lai was a creative person. He was full of imagination and depicted the force as a reality. He successfully befooled Bepin Babu and manipulated him so well that he started doubting himself. Although he was close to perfection and skill, yet he used it in a wrong way. He thrived the one whom he visit seeking help. He should have understood his talent and used it constructively rather than harassing an intelligent man who was busy doing his own work. Chunni Lai was revengeful and tricked Bepin Babu.
3. Why dp you think Chunilal did what he did? Chunilal says he had no money: What is it that he does have?
Answer: Chunilal did what he did because Bepin Babu did not help him at a time when he had no money and required a job. However, Bepin Babu did not do anything for him. So he wanted to punish him by rekindling haunting memory of his fall near Hudroo. Chunilal seems to be a good writer with very fertile imagination. That is what he believes would help him to tide over his bad phase.
4. The author describes Bepin Babu as a serious and hardworking man. What evidence can you find in the story to support this?
Answer: Bepin Babu was a serious and hardworking man. He worked daily in his office. He did not like to mix with the people and had few friends. He lived alone and didn’t like to spend time in idle chat. He had been working for a big firm for the past 25 years and had a reputation for being a tireless conscientious worker.
5. Why did Bepin Babu worry about what Parimal Ghose had said?
Answer: Bepin Babu continuously worried about what Parimal Ghose had said because he had shown that he knew many intimate facts about him. He knew about the bag of books, his wife’s death and his brother’s | insanity. Considering that Parimal Ghose knew so much about him. Bepin Bapu couldn’t say with conviction that he was making a mistake about the Ranchi trip.