Princess September Extra Questions and Answers Class 8 English
Princess September Extra questions and Answers PDF help the students in preparing for their examination in an orderly manner. Class 8 English It so happened Chapter 5 extra questions includes short and long questions which are essential for school exams. Practicing class 8 extra questions help the students to understand the entire chapter for the preparation of class tests and terminal exams.
Extra Questions for Class 8 English Chapter 5 Princess September
Short Answer Type Questions
1. What was the gift given to the princess by the king?
Answer: The king gave away the green parrots in a golden cage.
2. What happened to the parrot of Princess September? Answer:
The parrot of Princess September was lying dead at the bottom of its golden cage.
3. What did the Maids of Honour do to comfort the princess?
Answer: The princess was burst into tears at the loss of the parrot. Maids of honour tried to comfort her. Later they informed the queen.
4. What was the reaction of the Queen?
Answer: The queen did not go to comfort the princess. On the contrary, she called it nonsense and ignored it.
5. What made September wipe her tears?
Answer: Princess September was crying over the death of her parrot. Then entered a little bird hopping into her room. He sang a beautiful song for her and that made her wipe her tears.
6. What did the king like and dislike about parrots?
Answer: The king liked that parrot speaking ‘God save the king’ and disliked listening when parrots say ‘Pretty Polly’.
7. What was not liked by the king about the councilors?
Answer: The king said that they say same thing in seven different ways. He said that they say pleasing words with having genuine feelings.
8. ‘The new bird was full of new songs but the old parrots always repeated themselves’. What did they say?
Answer: All the old parrots could say ‘God save the king” and some of them could even say ‘Pretty Polly’ in seven languages.
9. What was the offer of the eight princesses?
Answer: The eight princesses offered that they would put their pocket money and buy her a lovely green and yellow parrot.
10. How did September react to their offer?
Answer: September thanked them all and said that she had a better bird.
11. What was the idea that the eight sisters try to put into September’s mind?
Answer: The eight princesses were jealous, September roamed about with her bird in the palace. They wanted her to put her bird into the cage.
12. What did the sisters advise the Princess to do about her bird?
Answer: The sister advised the Princess to keep her bird in a cage so that she could be sure of having it all the time.
13. What thoughts had haunt the mind of the princess when the bird took too long to return?
Answer: The princess thought that something might have happened to him. He might be in trouble because of hawks with snares or he might have forgotten her.
14. What was the reason behind delay in arrival of the bird?
Answer: The bird answered that his father in law wanted him to stay for a party.
15. Why did the bird say ‘What is the joke’?
Answer: The bird said so because September caged the bird whereas he preferred freedom.
16. Why couldn’t the bird sing that day?
Answer: The bird couldn’t sing because it was caged against his wishes.
17. What inspire the bird to sing?
Answer: The bird get his inspiration from trees, the lake and the green rice growing in the fields.
18. What pulled the princess out of her gloom?
Answer: The coming of a little bird into her room comforted Princess September. She was so enchanted that she forgot about her loss.
19. How many daughters did the royal couple have?
Answer: The royal couple had nine daughters.
20. Why were they named after the months of the years?
Answer: They were named after the months of the year because the queen could not recall their names easily.
21. The king had a peculiar habit. What was it? Why is it called Peculiar?
Answer: The king’s peculiar habit was that instead of receiving gifts on his birthday. He gave them. It is called Peculiar because usually. People receive gifts on their birthdays.
Long Answer Type Questions
1. To earn respect you must give respect. How has September valued her relationship with the bird?
Answer: September was caring and loving towards her pets. She took care of emotions of the bird. Although she was influenced by her sisters but later she realized the value of life and freedom. It is necessary to give freedom to the loved ones. Care and attention is what one desire in a relationship. The one who showers love, get manifold in return, as does the princess. She was beautiful from inside and got married to a prince whereas her own sisters were jealous by nature and they had to suffer.
2. Nature offer bounties to everyone. How has its affected the bird?
Answer: The bird sings beautiful songs for the princess. He sang song inspired by beautiful things, of nature. Once he was stopped from moving about as he cages by the princess, he couldn’t sing. He became so quiet and laid down as if he was dead. The princess realized her mistake and set him free. She took the right decision and could prolong the bliss of listening to wonderful music. Thus nature offer its gifts to everyone.
(i) What was Princess September’s reaction to the loss of her parrot?
(ii) What was her mother’s reaction to it?
(iii) What do the reactions indicate about the nature and temperament of each?
(i) Princess September burst into a flood of tears at the loss of her parrot. She kept crying and nothing comforted her.
(ii) Her mother declared it as nonsense, and said that she should go to bed without any supper.
(iii) The Princess reaction indicates that she was a young, sensitive child. That is why she cried over the loss of her parrot. It was a very important thing for her. The loss of her parrot filled her with grief. Her mothers reactions indicates that she was little harsh. She did not understand her daughter’s grief and consoled her. She did not think that the dying of the parrot was in any way a significant incident to shed tears.
5. Why was it difficult to put the happiness of someone you love before your own’?
Answer: When we love a thing or person, we want to own it. We look to keep it with. We don’t want to let it go. When our happiness comes in between the relation and the bond, then only we reconsider our approach. September wanted to keep the bird with her and thus caged it. She was almost on the verge of loosing him. Then she set her free although that made her sad. But happiness increases when we share it with open arms.
6. How did the maids of honour come to know that the Princess and the bird had become intimate friends?
Answer: When the maids of honour brought in the Princess’ breakfast, the bird eat rice out of her hand, and have its bath in her saucer. This showed them that Princess and the bird had become intimate friends.
7. What did the eight princesses conspire about?
Answer: The eight princesses were jealous of September and her bird. The king appreciated the song of the parrot. They felt little before the princesses because their parrots could utter only a few words and those were too taught by them only.
8. What is the king’s opinion about his councillors? Why did he form that opinion?
Answer: The king believed that his councillors were same like the parrots. They could say that same thing in seven different ways but it made no sense. This was similar to the way the parrots kept repeating ‘Pretty Polly’ in seven different languages.
(i) The eight Princess made an offer to princess September. What was it?
(ii) Why, in your view, did they do it?
(i) They offered their pocket money to Princess September to buy another parrot.
(ii) They did that because they felt jealous of the song and its friendship with Princess September.
10. Why did September act upon the advice of her sisters?
Answer: Princess September let her bird visit his relative. Her sisters poisoned her mind by saying that the bird won’t return back to her. So she should cage him once he is back. The advice of her sisters made her insecure and she put the bird into the cage.